Boring is a manufacturing technique used to improve the positional, dimensional and geometrical accuracy and surface quality of pre-drilled holes. Flexible tool systems are able to handle a wide range of diameters in roughing and finishing applications. The boring tool rotates to generate a cutting motion, with the feed movement (f((n))) running along the tool’s rotational axis.
Drilling deep holes is extremely challenging. Inserts with a small nose radius and sharp cutting edge geometry are the solution to this problem. An insert with these properties reduces passive radial forces and the associated vibrations. Each of the following steps is necessary to ensure correct operation of a spindle system:
- Set up system from the largest to the smallest diameter
- Keep combination as short as possible
- First lengthen, then shorten
- Choose the largest possible diameter for increased stability
- Ensure chip pocket is of sufficient size
- Do not exceed maximum ratio of length to diameter
ZCC Cutting Tools offers a flexible spindle system to meet your specific needs. Do you have any questions about properly sizing your spindle tool? Then contact us. We’re there to help.